Audio Research is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music.
What are the specs for the Audio Research LS16?
- Frequency Response:
- ±.1dB, 1Hz to 60kHz at rated output. -3dB points below 0.5Hz and above 100kHz
- .01% at 1V RMS Balanced output
- Noise & Hum:
- 25µV RMS residual IHF weighted Balanced noise output with gain control with gain control at minimum (98dB below 2V RMS output).
- Main output: 18dB Balanced, 12dB SE. Tape output: 0dB.
- Input Impedance:
- 150K ohms Balanced. 75K ohms SE.
- Output Impedance:
- 600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2), 40K ohms minimum load and 1000pF maximum capacitance.
- Output Polarity:
- Maximum Inputs:
- 14V RMS maximum Balanced, 7V RMS SE.
- Rated Outputs:
- 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm Balanced load (maximum Balanced output capability is 30V RMS at 1% THD at 1kHz).
- Power Supplies:
- Electronically regulated low and high voltage supplies. Automatic 45-sec. warmup mute. Automatic brown-out mute.
- Tube Complement:
- LS16: (4) 6922/E88CC. LS16 MKII: (2) 6H30
- Power Requirements:
- 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC 50/60Hz) 45 watts maximum.
- Vacuum tube audio circuit, solid-state power supply. Inputs (7): AUX SE, PHONO, TUNER, CD BAL, AUX BAL, MONITOR (SE), and PROCESSOR (SE). Outputs (4): 2 Main Bal, 1 Main SE, 1 Record SE.Controls: Volume, Input Select. Toggle switches: Power On/Off, Operate/Mute, Monitor/Input, Processor/Input. All functions on Remote Control.
- 19" (48 cm) W x 5 ¼" (13.3 cm) H (standard rack panel) x 10½" (26.7 cm) D. Handles extend 1½" (3.8 cm) forward of front panel.
- 11.9 lbs. (5.4 kg) Net; 21 lbs. (9.5 kg) Shipping.
What else to know about the Audio Research LS16?After a successful run of more than three years, and with the introduction of more advanced preamps like the LS25 and REF2, it was time for a successor to the LS15. This new model -- the LS16 Stereo Vacuum-Tube Preamplifier -- offers superior performance, greater flexibility and more intuitive controls. Chassis size and appearance are almost identical to the previous LS15, with the same complement of balanced / single ended inputs and outputs. The only major operational change is that the "Direct" input path of the LS15 is now a single-ended, unity-gain processor pass-through, a feature also included on the LS25 and RE F2. Incorporation in a home theater while preserving great two-channel sound is easier than ever. Input selections have been relabelled to include CD BAL, Phono, Tuner, Aux SE and Aux BAL. Two additional mechanical changes deserve mention. Toggle switches are now the bidirectional spring-loaded type used on the more costly LS25. And the microprocessor-controlled volume control is also the same as used on the LS25, with a total of 104 individual steps. Both of these changes add greater control flexibility and a higher-quality operational feel. Inside the LS16, you will find a new Class A gain circuit using four 6922 twin triodes with our proprietary clear damping rings, plus greater energy storage, the latest Infinicaps and improved power-supply regulation. The result is a sonic presentation that goes way, way beyond the LS15! Highs are better defined with a finer grain structure and less electronic hash, the midrange is more pure and open, while bass control, extension and dynamics are vastly improved from the LS15. Overall, there is much greater musical and tonal coherence from top to bottom, while definition of musical structure is more vivid and natural. This wonderfully balanced preamplifier mates extremely well with every vacuum-tube and solid-state amplifier we've tried. Once you hear it, you will agree that the LS16 represents a new threshold of value for high-end audio preamplifiers, combining versatile features and improved sonic performance. Because of the many improvements and changes, it is not possible to update an LS15 to the LS16 configuration. \[From the ARC website]
Brief History of Audio Research
Other Audio Research Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end Audio Research models.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth Audio Research brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have Audio Research equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used Audio Research equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual Audio Research equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.