Audio Research is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music.
What are the specs for the Audio Research PH3?
- Frequency Response:
- ±.15dB of RIAA, 10Hz to 60kHz. 3dB points below 0.5Hz and above 400kHz
- Less than .005% at .50V RMS 1kHz output
- Noise and Humb:
- 0.1µV equivalent input noise, IHF weighted, shorted input (80 dB below 1mV 1kHz input)
- 54dB at 1kHz (MC & MM compatible)
- Input Impedance:
- 47K ohms and 90pF Unbalanced. (Provisions for any value below 47K ohms or added input capacitance for matching certain magnetic cartridges.)
- Output Impedance:
- 200 ohms Unbalanced. Recommended load 50K-100K ohms and 100pF. (10K ohms minimum and 2000pF maximum.)
- Maximum Inputs:
- 60mV RMS at 1kHz (240 mV RMS at 10kHz)
- Rated Outputs:
- .50V RMS 10Hz to 60kHz, 100K ohm load (output capability is 30V RMS output at 1/2% THD at 1kHz).
- Power Supplies:
- Electronically-regulated low and high voltage supplies. Line regulation better than .01%
- Tube Complement:
- (3) 6922/E88CC dual triodes with JFET input. Solid state power supply.
- Power Requirements:
- 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC 50/60Hz) 28 watts maximum. Line fuse 0.6A SLO BLO (0.3A SLO BLO 230V)
- 19" (48 cm) W x 5 ¼" (13.4 cm) H (standard rack panel) x 10 ¼" (26 cm) D. Handles extend 1½" (3.8 cm) forward of front panel. Rear chassis fittings extend ¾" (2.2 cm)
- PH3: 10 lbs. (4.5 kg) Net; 19 lbs. (8.6 kg) Shipping. PH3 SE: 11 lbs. (5.0 kg) Net; 20 lbs. (9.1 kg) Shipping.
What else to know about the Audio Research PH3?The PH3 is a phono preamplification stage intended for use with an active line-level stereo preamplifier. Fully single-ended from input to output, the PH3 uses a combination of J-FET input stage technology (for low inherent circuit noise) and class A operation vacuum-tube gain via three 6922 twin triodes. Total gain of the PH3 is 54 dB (non-adjustable). Used with typical line preamplifiers having 12 to 18 dB of gain, the PH3 is suitable for phono cartridges having .25 mV output or higher. Input impedance is factory-set at 47K ohms, and input capacitance at 90 pF. For optimal matching to moving-coil and moving-magnet phono cartridges, both input impedance and input capacitance may be adjusted via simple resistor and capacitor changes. A resistor kit (with solder) is supplied for proper loading values between 30 and 800 ohms. Additional resistor values and capacitors may be ordered from the factory. On the rear panel, the PH3 provides one pair of gold-plated, audiophile-grade single-ended connectors for L & R inputs, and one pair for outputs. High-quality single-ended interconnects such as Audio Research LitzLink 2 brand are strongly recommended for best sonic performance with the PH3. \[From the ARC website]
Brief History of Audio Research
Other Audio Research Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end Audio Research models.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth Audio Research brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have Audio Research equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used Audio Research equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual Audio Research equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.