Audio Research is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music.
What are the specs for the Audio Research Reference 250?
- Power Output:
- 250 watts per channel continuous from 20Hz to 20kHz. 1kHz total harmonic distortion typically 0.5% at 250 watts, below .04% at 1 watt. Approximate actual power available at “clipping” 270 watts (1kHz). (Note that actual power output is dependent upon both line voltage and “condition” i.e.: if power line has high distortion, maximum power will be affected adversely, although from a listening standpoint this is not very critical.)
- Power Bandwidth:
- (-3dB points) 5Hz to 70kHz
- Frequency Response:
- (-3dB points at 1 watt) 0.5Hz to 110 kHz
- Input Sensitivity:
- 2.4V RMS Balanced for rated output. (25.5 dB gain into 8 ohms.)
- Input Impedance:
- 200K ohms Balanced
- Output Taps:
- 4, 8, 16 ohms
- Output Regulation:
- Approximately 0.9dB 16 ohm load to open circuit.
- Overall Negative Feedback:
- Damping Factor:
- Approximately 10
- Slew Rate:
- Rise Time:
- 1.5 µs
- Hum & Noise:
- Less than 0.2mV RMS – 110dB below rated output (IHF-A weighted, input shorted, 16 ohm output).
- Power Supply Energy Storage:
- Approximately 900 joules
- Power Requirements:
- 105-130VAC 60Hz (260-250VAC 50Hz) 770 watts at rated output, 1000 watts maximum, 380 watts at “idle,” 1 watt off.
- Tube Complement:
- REFERENCE 250: (3 matched pairs) KT120 power output, (1 matched pair) KT120 driver, (2) 6H30 gain stage and regulator driver, (1) 6550C regulator. REFERENCE 250 SE: (3 matched pairs) KT150 power output, (1 matched pair) KT150 driver, (2) 6H30 gain stage and regulator driver, (1) 6550C regulator.
- 19" (48.3 cm) W x 8 ¾" (22.2 cm) H x 19½" (49.5 cm) D. Handles extend 1½" (3.8 cm) forward.
- 73 lbs. (33.2 kg) Net; 88 lbs. (40 kg) Shipping.
What else to know about the Audio Research Reference 250?The concept of a large monoblock amplifier is to provide control to a speaker. The difficult part of the job is maintaining finesse and musicality while doing it. Audio Research has produced some of the most critically acclaimed products during its 42-year history and the new Reference 250 aims to break new ground. From the moment the music begins, the foundation of an exceptional musical experience is evident. Sound emerges from an inky black background, revealing microdetails and performance cues typically reserved for the live performance. Substantial, fundamental bass underscores the event with resolution and textural accuracy. Space around performers and groups of instruments stretch before you onto a lifelike stage with scale and body. Dynamics swing from silent passages to grand fortissimos without effort or strain. This is high definition listening. The Reference 250 features new enhancements outside as well as major performance advances inside. First, you will notice a more modern, monochromatic appearance, including a new front panel with a small aluminum power button. An analog meter with adjustable illumination is set in the front panel is capable of displaying power output and tube bias settings. A new low turbulence fan provide effective yet silent cooling. Internally, the Reference 250 is outfitted with the KT120 output tubes and a bulk power supply 50 percent larger than its predecessor. Connections include accommodation for 4, 8 or 16 ohm speakers, an XLR input as well as 12 volt trigger connections. Visually understated and sonically breathtaking, the Reference 250 is unmistakably Audio Research. \[From the ARC website]
Brief History of Audio Research
Other Audio Research Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end Audio Research models.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth Audio Research brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have Audio Research equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used Audio Research equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual Audio Research equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.