Audio Research is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music.
What are the specs for the Audio Research Reference Phono 2SE?
- Frequency Response:
- REFERENCE PHONO 2: ± .2dB of RIAA, 10Hz to 60kHz: 3dB points below 0.5Hz and above 300kHz. REFERENCE PHONO 2 SE: ± .2dB of RIAA, 10Hz to 60kHz: 3dB points below 0.3Hz and above 300kHz.
- REFERENCE PHONO 2: .002% at 1.0V RMS 1kHz BAL output. REFERENCE PHONO 2 SE: Less than .002% at 1.0V RMS 1kHz BAL output.
- Noise & Hum:
- 0.22µV equivalent input noise, IHF weighted, shorted (Low Gain) input (73 dB below 1mV 1kHz input). 0.055µV equivalent input noise (High Gain) (65dB below 0.1mV 1kHz input).
- Selectable 51 dB (Low), 74 dB (High) at 1 kHz BAL; 45 dB (Low), 68dB (High) at 1 kHz SE. (MC & MM compatible).
- Input Impedance:
- 47K ohms and 100pF SE. Additional selectable loads: 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50 ohms and Custom.
- Output Impedance:
- 200 ohms SE, 400 ohms balanced. Recommended load 50K-100K ohms and 100pF. (10K ohms minimum and 2000pF maximum.)
- Output Polarity:
- Maximum Inputs:
- 250mV RMS at 1kHz (680 mV RMS at 10kHz).
- Rated Outputs:
- 0.5V RMS 10Hz to 20kHz, 100K ohm load (output capability is 80V RMS BAL output at ½% THD at 1kHz, 40V SE.)
- Power Supplies:
- Electronically-regulated low and high voltage supplies. Line regulation better than .01%.
- Tube Complement:
- (4) 6H30 dual triodes, plus (1 each) 6H30, 6550C in power supply.
- Power Requirements:
- 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC 50/60Hz) 140 watts maximum. 2W standby. Line fuse 5A SLO BLO (T2A SLO BLO 230V).
- Buttons: Front (6) Power, Input, Gain, Load, RIAA, Mute.
- 19" (48 cm) W x 7" (17.8 cm) H (standard rack panel) x 15½" (39.4 cm) D. Handles extend 1½" (3.8 cm) forward of front panel.
- 27 lbs. (12.3 kg) Net; 38 lbs. (17.3 kg) Shipping.
What else to know about the Audio Research Reference Phono 2SE?Audio Research continues the tradition of advancing state of the art in music reproduction with the introduction of the Reference Phono 2 SE preamplifier. Using component technologies derived directly from the acclaimed Reference Anniversary preamplifier, the Reference Phono 2 SE provides substantial sonic enhancements beyond its predecessor and brings the listener closer to the music than ever. The Reference Phono 2 SE shares similar aesthetics with other Reference preamplifiers in form and size. The front panel has been redesigned to accommodate new metal buttons, and the faceplate and other features are available in silver or black. A large vacuum-flourescent display is clearly legible across the room and provides unit feedback. The supplied remote controls all functions. The Reference Phono 2 SE offers an extensive feature set. There are two separate sets of inputs, with selectable gain between Low (51dB BAL / 45dB SE) and High (74dB BAL / 68dB SE). There are seven loading selections including 47K, 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50 ohms, and Custom, which we can factory-set according to your need. In addition to standard RIAA phono equalization, the Reference Phono 2 SE also includes early stereo Columbia and Decca equalization curves. The display shows all selected functions (Input, Gain, Loading, EQ, Mute, Tube Hours) and the microprocessor remembers settings for each input. The Reference Phono 2 SE is a fully balanced design with an input circuit that allows its RCA inputs to operate in a balanced configuration without requiring an inverter. The tube complement is similar to that of other Reference components, with four 6H30s in the gain stage with a 6550C and 6H30 in the power supply. The Reference Phono 2 also features the same basic analog stage as its acclaimed siblings. Rather than using a step-up transformer, special high-gain, extremely low-noise FETs are used in the high- gain section. This approach is costlier than using a transformer, but it is well worth the dramatic performance increase. There are new, proprietary capacitors throughout, increased power supply capacitance, and eleven stages of power supply regulation. The Reference Phono 2 SE makes incredible music. The black background is stunning, allowing depth and texture to emerge from your recordings unlike you have ever previously experienced. Instrumentalists are painted in the recording environment with life and realism; large, complex music is unraveled before you with might and scale. In a world of remarkable turntables, tonarms, and cartridges, the Reference Phono 2 SE is the perfect pairing to take your system into another realm. More than twenty-seven years after the introduction of the compact disc, we continue to discover how much wonderful musical information is lies within the grooves of our beloved vinyl collections. Allow the Audio Research Reference Phono 2 SE to complement your system and collection, and provide an unparalleled listening experience for you. \[From the ARC website]
Brief History of Audio Research
Other Audio Research Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end Audio Research models.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth Audio Research brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have Audio Research equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used Audio Research equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual Audio Research equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.