McIntosh is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music. McIntosh is probably best known for its amplifiers and preamps, but the company produces many other components and parts for stereo and home theatre.
What are the specs for the McIntosh MC 162?
- Power Output:
- Min. sine wave continuous average power output per channel from 20Hz to 20kHz with all channels operating - Stereo: 160W (4Ω) or 100W (8Ω) per channel Bridged: 500W (4Ω) or 320W (8Ω)
- Intermodulation Distortion:
- 0.005% maximum if instantaneous peak power output does not exceed twice the output power rating
- Input Impedance:
- 10k ohms unbalanced 22k ohms balanced
- Output Load Impedance:
- 8 or 4 ohms
- Dynamic Headroom:
- Clipping is prevented and THD does not exceed 2% with up to 14dB overdrive at 1kHz
- Frequency Response:
- 20Hz to 20kHz, +0 / -0.25dB 10Hz to 100kHz, +0 / -3.0dB
- Power Requirements:
- 120V 50/60Hz, 5A
- Rated Power Band:
- 20Hz to 20kHz
- Input Sensitivity:
- 0.9V (2.0V at gain control center detent)
- Signal to Noise Ratio:
- 110dB below rated output
- Damping Factor:
- 200 (8 ohms) 100 (4 ohms)
- 0.005% maximum at any level from 250 milliwatts to rated power output per channel from 20Hz to 20kHz with all channels operating
- inch: 5.375 x 17.5 x 18.5 cm: 13.7 x 44.5 x 47 knob clearance: 1.125" (2.9 cm)
- 42 lbs. (19.1kg) net 60 lbs. (27.2kg) shipping
What else to know about the McIntosh MC 162?The MC162 is a wolf in sheep's clothing. At first glance, it's a moderately powerful (160W per channel) solid state stereo amplifier that will meet the needs of most serious listeners. Look closer and you'll find bridged output of 500W, balanced inputs, and peak-responding meters – telltale signs of a “killer” McIntosh amplifier.
Brief History of McIntosh
Long mapped-to Binghamton New York – the current headquarters and manufacturing center for McIntosh Labs – not many people know the brand was originally launched outside of the Nation’s Capital in Silver Spring Maryland, in 1949. In 1956, the brand built their original facility in New York, according to the official brand website.
Other McIntosh Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end McIntosh models such as the MC202 or MC252, and the C220 preamp, for example. We have also purchased many pre-owned tuners from McIntosh over the recent years, including the MR67 and MR78 models, for example.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth McIntosh brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have McIntosh equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used McIntosh equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual McIntosh equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.