McIntosh is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music. McIntosh is probably best known for its amplifiers and preamps, but the company produces many other components and parts for stereo and home theatre.
What are the specs for the McIntosh MR 500?
- Usable Sensitivity:
- 13 dBF, which is 2.5µV across 300ohm or 1.25µVacross 75ohm
- 50dB Quieting Sensitivity:
- Mono - 16.8 dBF, which is 3.8µV across 300ohm or1.9µV across 75ohmStereo - 37.3 dBF, which is 40µV across 300ohm or20µV across 75ohm
- Frequency Response:
- Mono ±1 dB, 20 Hz to 15 kHz.Stereo ± 1 dB, 20 Hz to 15 kHz.
- Harmonic Distortion:
- Mono 0.08% at 100 Hz0.08% at 1 kHz0.1% at 10 kHzStereo 0.18% at 100 Hz0.18% at 1 kHz0.25% at 10 kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio:
- Mono 80 dB Stereo 75 dB
- Intermodulation Distortion:
- Mono 0.08%Stereo 0.18%
- Antenna Inputs:
- 30012 balanced and 75ohm unbalanced
- Tuning Range:
- 88 MHz to 108 MHz
- Tuning Methods:
- Manual tuning. Push buttons to select any one of six stations stored in the electronic memory.Scan tuning up or down; scan-up can be controlled remotely.
- Audio Output Levels:
- 1V at fixed output 0 to 2.5V at variable output and headphones.
- Power Requirements:
- 120V, 50/60 Hz, 15W
- Semiconductor Complement:
- 33 Transistors 15 Integrated Circuits 8 Varactors 20 Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) 34 Diodes
- 16 inches wide (40.6 cm) by 3 5/8 inches high (9.2cm) by 2 3/8 inches high (6.0 cm) by 14 1/2 inches deep (36.8 cm), including connectors. Knob clearance required is 1 1/4 inches (3.2 cm) in front of mounting panel.
- Front panel is anodized gold and black with special gold/teal nomenclature illumination. Chassis is black.
- Exclusive McIntosh developed professional PANLOC.
- 18 pounds (8.2 kg) net, 30 pounds (13.6 kg) in shipping carton.
What else to know about the McIntosh MR 500?ELECTRICAL: Sensitivity 13dBF or 1.25uV across 75 ohms. Stereo 50dB quieting sensitivity 37.3dBF or 20uV across 75 ohms. Response 20-15kHz (+1 -1dB). Distortion 0.25% in stereo. Image rejection 100dB. S/N 75dB. Alt channel selectivity 70dB. Separation 50dB@1kHz. Spurious rejection 100dB. SCA rejection 60dB. FRONT PANEL: Glass front panel with black & gold escutcheon. Volume with on-off switch. Tuning ctrl. Push Buttons: 6 presets, Enter, Mute, Manual, Scan up, Scan down. LED column tuning/signal. Digital frequency readout. Headphone jack. BACK PANEL: Audio out 2.5V variable, 1V fixed. Manual AFL sw: out or normal. Remote scan jack. 300 or 75 ohm fm cable inputs. Scope outputs. Panloc mounting. Size 3-5/8"H, 16"W and 14-1/2"D from front panel.. Weight 18 lb. Sold from 1983-1985. Last retail price $1499.00
Brief History of McIntosh
Long mapped-to Binghamton New York – the current headquarters and manufacturing center for McIntosh Labs – not many people know the brand was originally launched outside of the Nation’s Capital in Silver Spring Maryland, in 1949. In 1956, the brand built their original facility in New York, according to the official brand website.
Other McIntosh Products We Often Buy
Typically, StereoBuyers purchases mostly used amplifiers, especially the vintage amps and high-end McIntosh models such as the MC202 or MC252, and the C220 preamp, for example. We have also purchased many pre-owned tuners from McIntosh over the recent years, including the MR67 and MR78 models, for example.
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth McIntosh brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have McIntosh equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used McIntosh equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual McIntosh equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.